TRING: History About Library Contact TRING: Home

Site Search


TRING is a market town and parish on the road to Aylesbury and on the Buckinghamshire border of the county, with a station 1¾ miles distant (and locally in Aldbury parish), on the London and North Western Railway, and 31¾ miles from London; the town is 7 miles south-east from Aylesbury and 4½ north-west from Berkhamsted, in the Western division of the county, in Dacorum hundred and petty sessional division, Berkhamsted union, Aylesbury county court district, and in the rural deanery of Berkhamsted, and archdeaconry and diocese of St. Albans; the Grand Junction Canal passes near the town and has branches to Wendover [Ed - by now mostly abandoned] and Aylesbury: the town is lighted with gas by a company, from works in Brook street and supplied with water by the Chiltern Hills Spring Water Co. The
town is sewered on the broad irrigation system.

Under the provisions of the “Load Government Act, 1894” (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the Urban portion of the parish is now governed by an Urban District Council of 12 members, formed in 1894, which takes the place of the Local Board established in February, 1859. In pursuance of the same Act, Tring has been divided into two civil parishes, viz. Urban and Rural, the latter having a Parish Council of 7 members, and comprising Long Marston and Wilstone (which see below).

The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone and flint in the Perpendicular style, with features of an earlier date, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and a massive embattled western tower containing 8 bells, dating from 1624 to 1882: the interior was thoroughly restored in 1862 and the church partially rebuilt during the years 1880 and 1881, a new clock, chiming the quarters, being at the same time placed in the tower: the restoration, completed in March, 1882, cost about £3,500, furnished by voluntary contributions: in 1900 a rood screen and loft of carved oak was erected, the east end of the south aisle formed into a chapel, and the chancel panelled in oak and decorated, the whole cost being defrayed by a lady resident in the parish: there are 300 sittings. The register dates from 1566.

The living is a vicarage, with Wilstone annexed, net yearly value £117, and residence, in the gift of J. G. Williams esq. of Pendley Manor, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Samuel Waite Tidswell M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. St. Martha’s, in Park road, erected as a chapel of ease to the parish church, is served by the clergy of Tring: there are 120 sittings. The Baptist chapel here affords 450 sittings: there is also a Strict Baptist chapel, seating 800, and a Primitive Methodist chapel, with 100 sittings; the Particular Baptist chapel at New Mill has 600 sittings. The Church House, in Western road, is a structure of red brick, erected in 1897 by subscription, and is used for concerts &c. The Cemetery at the west end of the town, provided in 1894, under the “Public Health (Interments) Act, 1879,” is under the management of the Urban Council: there is one chapel: the area is 4a. 3r. 27 p.; but no part of the ground has yet been consecrated.

The Constitutional Club, in the Western road, is a structure of red brick with stone dressings, erected in 1892, at the sole expense of Joseph Grout Williams J.P. of Pendley Manor, from designs by Mr. Wm. Huckvale, architect, of Tring, and comprises a reading room, two billiard rooms, a committee room and the usual offices. The ancient Market House, in High street, has been pulled down, and another Market House was erected in 1898 on a site presented by Lord ‘Rothschild on the corner of Akeman street and Western road, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, from the designs of Mr. William Huckvale, architect; it is timber-framed in oak, filled in with rough cast, and contains a market hall, 41 by 26 feet, with open market place underneath, surveyor’s office, committee and store rooms. A market is held on Friday, which in the earlier part of the day is attended by women from the neighbouring villages, who make straw plait and meet here the buyers from Luton and other parts; the corn market is also held here at 2 p.m. throughout the year; the fair on Easter Monday and Old Michaelmas Day is still held. A sale of fat stock is held in the Cattle Market, Brook street, every Monday at 1.30 p.m. W. Brown & Co. auctioneers.

The business of the town consists chiefly in canvas weaving, straw plaiting and brewing; a fruit preserving factory has recently (1902) been opened [Ed. - in the premises now occupied by the Victoria Hall, Akeman Street]. The Literary and Scientific Institute, founded in 1849 has a library of 800 volumes and a reading room; there are now (1902) about 50 members. The Rothschild Museum, erected in 1889, by the Hon. Lionel Walter Rothschild M.P., Ph.D., F.Z.S. consists of the museum itself, a red brick building of two storeys, and adjoining it at one end a half-timbered house, separated from the museum by a wide stone staircase, which forms the public means of access to the gallery; the museum contains Mr. Rothschild‘s private Natural History collections, but the galleries are open to public inspection on the first three days of the week and on Fridays and are largely visited; the ground floor is devoted to birds and mammals, and the upper floor to sponges, corals, molluscs, fishes and reptiles; some of the larger mammals and all the antelopes and zebras are also placed there, besides insects and crustaceans. The collections are new very extensive and are being constantly increased by the labours of collectors in foreign countries; and the arrangement of the specimens is proceeding under the direction of the director and his assistants; the Museum house, which has a bold gabled oriel, contains Mr. Rothschild’s study, curators’ room, library and entomological cabinets; attached is a taxidermist’s and general workshop; Mr. Ernst Hartert, director, and Dr. Carl Jordan, curator of the entomological department.

The Tring Nursing Home occupies premises in Station road, presented by Lady Rothschild, and includes an accident ward; it is vested in two trustees and supported by voluntary contributions. An Isolation Hospital was erected in 1901 by the Urban District Council, and has eight beds. The Tring’s Poor’s Land, formerly consisting of 107a. 3r. 7p. of land and 3 houses, but now sold and the proceeds invested in Consols, produces an annual income of upwards of £180, and is distributed in coal at Christmas. The other charities, now consolidated, with an income of about £140, are administered under a new scheme from the Charity Commissioners, dated 1884, which allows the application of its funds in several channels for the benefit of the poor and mainly for the encouragement of thrift and independence.

Tring Park, the property and residence of Lord Rothschild, is pleasantly seated amid lovely woodland scenery, with undulating slopes richly timbered on all sides. Lord Rothschild is lord of the manor of Tring, and Joseph Grout Williams esq. J.P. of the manor of Pendley. The principal landowners are Lord Rothschild and J. G. Williams esq. J.P. of Pendley Manor. The soil, which rests on the lower chalk formation, varies considerably.

Sexton, Alfred Cogger, 18 Frogmore street.

The population of Tring Urban parish in 1901 was 4,384; area, 4,390 acres; assessable value, £19,699.

Little Tring and Tring Grove are hamlets. At Little Tring, 1 mile from Tring, are the Grand Junction Canal Water Works and reservoir; the latter is 405 feet above the sea, being a trifle higher than the summit of St. Paul’s, London; there are 55 locks on the canal between Northchurch and the Thames.



Post, M. O. & T. O., T. M. O., S. B., Express Delivery, Parcel Post & Annuity & Insurance & Telephone Exchange Office, Western rd.—Thos. Chuter, postmaster.  Letters arrive from all parts at 4 a.m.; from London & the South at 6.40 & 9 a.m. & 3.20 p.m.; from the North at 3.20 & 5.40 p.m.; London & South, 5.45 p.m.; deliveries at 7 & 9 a.m. & 4 & 6 p.m.  Dispatches, local country post, 5 a.m.; London, North of England, Scotland & Ireland, 6.30 a.m.; Aston Clinton, Weston Turville, Wendover, Butters Cross & Princes Risboro’, 9 a.m.; London, 9.30 a.m.; London & North & South of England, 12.50 p.m.; London, 2 p.m.; London, Berkhamsted & Harrow, South of England, 3.25 p.m.; Aldbury & Aston Clinton, 4 p.m.; London & North & South of England, 8.15 p.m.; London & all parts, 10 p.m.; deliveries, Sundays at 7 a.m.; dispatched, Sundays at 7 p.m.

Town Sub-Post, M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, King street.—Thomas Howlett, sub-postmaster.  Letter Box cleared 8.45 a.m. 12.25 & 7.15 p.m.; Sundays, 6.45 p.m.

Post Office, New Mill.— Mrs. Mary Mannington, sub-postmistress.  Letters through Tring.  Letter Box cleared at 7.40 a.m. & 5.10 & 7.15 p.m.; Sundays, 11.50 a.m.  Postal orders are issued here, but not paid.  Tring 1 mile distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Wall Boxes: Chapel street cleared at 8.40 a.m. 12.00, 1.50 & 7.10 p.m.; High street cleared at 8.40 a.m. 12.25 & 7.25 p.m.; Sundays, 6.15 p.m.; Akeman street cleared at 7.15 a.m. 12.10. 1.55 & 7 p.m.; Sunday, 6.50 p.m.; Tring Station, 8.5 & 11.50 a.m. 2.40, 6.50, 9.30 & 11.15 p.m.; Sundays, 9.40 a.m. & 9.30 p.m.; Brook street cleared at 7.45 a.m. 12 noon & 7.20 p.m.; Sundays, 6.10 p.m.; Tring Grove cleared at 7.10 p.m.; Sundays, 12.5 p.m.; Longfield road cleared at 8 a.m. & 6.15 p.m.; Sundays, 6.45 p.m.

Parcels Post.— Deliveries daily (Sunday excepted), 3.30 a.m. 4. & 6 p.m.; dispatches daily (Sunday excepted), 9.30 a.m. & 2 p.m. (all parts), 5.40 p.m. (North), 6.30 p.m. (London, by road), 8.15 p.m. (all parts), 10 p.m. (all parts).



Offices, Western road. Meeting days the first Tuesday
in every month at 6.30 p.m.

All retire in April, 1904.
Chairman, Richardson Carr.
Vice-Chairman, Herbert Grange.

David Bishop
James Brown
William James Dawe
Frederick William Elliman
Charles Gritfin

Robert Hedges
William Newman Mead
Hon. Lionel Walter Roths-
child M.P
Joseph Grout Williams J.P.

Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, solicitor, Western road
Treasurer, Walter Butcher, The Bank, High street
Medical Officer of Health, William Gruggen L.R.C.P.I.,
D.P.H., 7 Grosvenor road, Watford.
Surveyor, Sanitary Inspector & Canal Boats & Factories
& Workshops Inspector, William H. Thomas, Market house
Collector, Michael Chadwick, 7 Park road



2nd (Hertfordshire) Volunteer Battalion, Bedfordshire
Regiment (F Company), Armoury, Western road;
Capt.& Hon. Major S. William Jenney, jun.;
Fredk. Crawley, sergeant-instructor



Cemetery, Arthur William Vaisey, registrar
Nursing Home, Station road, Miss F. O. Girardet, nurse in charge
Police Station, Church Lane, Henry Francis, police sergeant
Urban District Isolation Hospital, Little Tring road,
Edwin Joseph Le Quesne L.R.C.P. Lond. & James

Brown M.B., C.M. hon. medical officers;
Arthur William Vaisey, clerk; Mrs. Storey, matron.
Vestry, at the side of the Church, Walter Brace, keeper.



Certifying Factory Surgeon, Admiralty Surgeon, Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Aldbury District, Berkhamsted Union, James Brown M.B., C.M. 23 High st
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment & School Attendance Committees of Berkhamsted Union, Arthur William Vaisey, Western road.
Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages for Tring Sub-District, Berkhamsted Union, James Gibbs Jones, Western road; deputy, Harry Rawlins, 4, Langdon street.
Medical Oflicer, Tring District, Berkhamsted Union, Edwin Joseph Le Quesne L.B.C.P.Lond., M.R.C.S. Eng., Elm house.
Relieving & Vaccination Officer & Collector to the Guardians for Berkhamsted Union, John Cook, Springwell villas, Western road
Superintendent of Fire Brigade, Gilbert Grace, Western rd
Vestry Clerk, Arthur William Vaisey, Western road


with times of services.

SS. Peter &s Paul (Parish) Church, Rev. Samuel Waite Tidswell M.A. vicar; Rev. Spencer Horward Hayward A.K.C.L. curate; 8 & 11 a.m. 3 & 6.30 p.m.; holy days. 8 & 11 a.m.. & 5 p.m.; daily, 8 a.m. & 5 p.m. except Wed. & Fri. 11 a.m. & 5 p.m. & services are also held at the Chapel of Ease at 6 p.m. & 1st Sunday,10.45 a.m. & in the New Mill school room on Sundays at 3 p.m.
Baptist, Akeman street, Rev. L. Henry Colls; 10.30 a.m. & 2.15 & 6 p.m.; Monday & Wednesday 6.45 p.m.
Baptist (Ebenezer), Chapel street, by supply; 10.30 a.m. & 2 & 6 p.m.; Wednesday 6.45 p.m.
Baptist, New Mill; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Baptist Chapel, Western road, Rev, Charles Pearce; 10.45 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Mon. 7.15 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, Langdon street; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Wednesday 7 p.m.



National, West End (boys, girls & infants), built in 1840 & enlarged in 1866, for 550 children; average attendance, 205 boys, 170 girls & 90 iniants; Henry Hobson A.C.P. master; Miss Kate Luffman, mistress; Miss Sophia Elizabeth Jarman, infants’ mistress.
National, New Mill (mixed), built in 1874, for 150 children; average attendance, 95; Miss Stephanie Stonebridge, mistress.
National (infants), King street, built in 1870, for 120 children; average attendance, 75; Miss Mary Florence Karn, mistress.
Attendance Officer, D. Whiting, Longfield road.


Railway Station, William Hedge, station master & goods manager.
Conveyance.—Omnibus from the ‘King’s Arms,’ King street, calling at the ‘Rose it Crown,’ High street, to Tring railway station, several times daily.



Aston Clinton—Bethell, ‘Rose & Crown,’ Fri.
Aylesbury—Crook, Thurs.
Hemel Hempstead—Crook, Wed. returning Thurs.
Long Marston—Gregory , Fri.
London & parts, per L.&N.W.R. daily; chief office, ‘Rose & Crown’ hotel, 13 High street.
Puttenham—Gregory, Fri.




Allison Edmond, Rosemead, Western rd
Archer Alfred Herbert, Spring Kop,
    Western road
Asquith Bentley, 27 Park road
Barnes Mrs. 2 East croft, Langdon st
Batchelor George, 2 Tudor pl. Park rd
Bishop David, Longfield road
Boswell Rev. Luther Henry B.A. (curate)
    Western road
Bradford Mrs. 38 Park road
Brown Arthur M. Beech grove
Brown Frank John, Okeford
Brown Fredk. Wm. 24. High street
Brown Jae. M.B., C.M. Aylesbury rd
Brown Mrs. Beech grove
Brownlow John Charles, Hillside vils,
    New mill
Butcher Frederick, Frogmore
Butcher Walter, 20 High street

Cannon Alfred, Ashburnham villas,
    Western road
Carr Richardson, Home farm
Chennells Miss, Landon street
Churchill Henry George, 39 Park road
Colls Rev. L. Henry (Baptist), 10
    Akeman street
Cosier Charles, Ashburnham villas,
    Western road
Darling Miss, The Grove
Dawe Arthur, 51 High street
Dawe Mrs. H. 5 Park road
Dawe William, Miswell lane
Elliman Mrs. Westcroft, Western road
Fancourt Saml. Hillside vils. New mill
Fleming Mrs. 5 Whitehouse terrace,
    Western road
Foulkes Septimus Gifford. Grove ldg
Fulks Mathew, South view, Park rd
Fysen Thomas Child, 55 Western rd
Glover Thomas, 4 Park street
Goodsen James, 19 Park road

Grace Thomas, 15 Akeman street
Green Miss, Downs villa, Park road
Gurney Joseph, North view, Western rd
Gutteridge James, Chapel street
Harding Thos. Victoria ho. Akeman st
Hartert Ernst, Belle Vue vil. Park rd
Hayward Rev. Spencer Horward
A.K.C.L. (curate), Western road
Hobbs Miss, 56 Western road
Holmes Alvara, 24 Park road
Honour Jas. The Cedars, Station rd
Huckvale Wm. Ardmore, Western rd
Humphrey Wm. Bayman, 25 Park rd
Jeffery Mrs. 42 Park road
Jolly Mrs. 54 Western road
Jordan Carl D.Ph. Park road
Kingham William, Western reed
Le Quesne Edwin Joseph, Elm house;
    Western road
Liddington Seabrook, New mill
Mackenzie Mrs. Aylesbury road
Maull William Charles, Brook street


Mead Albert, The Laurels, Station rd,
Mead Miss, 19 Western road
Mead Thomas, Gamnel
Moulting George Henry, Evesham. ho.
    Western road
Norris Miss, Aylesbury road
Pearce Rev. Charles (Baptist), Western
Putnam George, Fernville, Perk road
Roby Misses, Ivy house, Park road
Rodwell William Jesse, 60 Akeman st
Rolfe John, 1 Tudor place, Park road
Rothschild Lord, Tring park; 148
    Piccadilly SW; Marlborough &
    Brooks’ clubs SW; St. James’
    club W; Turf club W & City Liberal
    club EC, London
Shackel Miss, Basildon vil. Western rd
Smith Edwin, Brook ho. Brook street
Smith George, 95 Brook street
Smith Wm. The Hollies, Brook street
Spurway Jn. M.B., C.M. Western rd
Sunderland-Taylor Mrs. Western road
Sutton Edmund George G. Grange
    villas, Western road
Thompson Herbert H. 57 Western rd
Thorp George, Western road
Tidswell Rev. Samuel Waite M.A.
    (vicar), Vicarage
Underwood Mrs. Ferndale vil. Western rd
Vaisey Arthur William, Holly field
Walker Henry John, 1 East croft,
    Langdon street
Whitechurch Mrs. 53 Western road.
Williams Joseph Grout J.P. Pendley
Williams Misses, Hawkwell, Station rd
Wood Miss, Hazely, Station road
Wright Walter Edwd. 29 Western rd
Young George Thomas, High street

Chadwick Michael, rate collector to
    the Urban District Council, 7 Park rd
Chappell Chas. farmer, Dunsley farm
Churchill Beatrice (Miss), maternity
    nurse, 39 Park road
Chuter Thomas, postmaster, Western rd
Clark Jas. & Son, tailors, Frogmore st
Clarke Jsph. farmer Park Hill farm
Clarkson Alban Joseph, George P.H.
    Western road
Clement John T. & Son, watch & clock
    makers, 33 High street
Cogger Alfd. greengrcr. 18 Frogmore st
Cole John, inland revenue officer,
    Downs villa, Park road
Cook John, relieving & vaccination
    officer & collector to the guardians
    of Berkhamsted union, Springwell
    villas, Western road
Cosier J. & Sons, tailors, Western rd
Crabb Henry, beer retailer, New Mill
Crawley Sergt. Frederick, drill in-
    structor, F Co. 2nd (Hertfordshire)
    Volunteer Battalion, Bedfordshire
    Regiment, Armoury, Western road
Cross George, tailor, 34. Charles st
Crouch Fredk. farmer Miswell farm
Crow Polly (Mrs.), dress mkr. New mill
Dawe William James & Arthur Henry,
    ironmongers, tinmen & cycle agents,
    51 & 52 High street
Dellar Thomas, florist  &c. see
    Westwood & Dellar
Dover Ernest, chimney sweeper, 10
    Western road
Dowson Knox, draper, 46 Frogmore st
Edwin Edmd. confectioner, 29 High st
Ellis Samuel, tailor, Western road
Emery George, tailor, Frogmore st
Fincher William & Son, painters &c.
    Western road

Harding Charles, horse brkr. Albert st
Harradine Ernest Wm. beer retailer,
    Frogmore street
Harris Mary Ann (Mrs), Britannia inn,
    Western road
Hedges John & Sons, decorators &
    glaziers, Western rd & Parsonage pl
Hertfordshire Cider & Preserve Co.
    Limited (The), manufacturers of
    table jellies, cider, vinegar, pre-
    served fruits, mineral waters, jams,
    pickles, sauces, liqueurs, cordials &
    British wines, Victoria works
Hill Edwin, head gardener to Lord
Hinks Wm. Henry, baker, Western rd
Hinton Sarah (Mrs.), butcher, 31
    King street
Hobbs James, King‘s Arms, King st
    & stone & monumental mason,
    Western road.
Honour James & Son, contractors,
    brick makers, builders & under-
    takers, Akeman street
Honour James, tomato grower,
    Aylesbury road.
Horn Bethia (Miss), linen draper,
    Charles street
Houchen Ellis, draper, Western road
Howlett Charles Frederick, baker, 25,
    Akeman street
Hewlett Thomas, shopkeeper, Post.
    office, King st & 87 Akeman street
Huckvale William, architect, Western
    road (P.O. Tel. No. 10)
Humphrey Wm. B. insur agt. Park rd
Humphreys William, boot & shoe
    maker, 13 King street
International Tea Co.’s Stores Limited
    (George Simpson, mgr.), Western rd
Ives Robt. Geo. Castle P.H. Park rd



Early closing day, Wednesday.
Agricultural Association (Frank John
Brown, hon. sec.), 41 High street
Allison Robt. Wm. corn mer. Western rd
Association for Prosecution of Felons
    (William Huckvale, sec)
Amsden Oliver, coal mer. Western rd
Asquith Bentley, civil engnr 27 Park rd
Austin Cornelius Frederick Henry &
    Sons, painters, 64 Wingrave road,
    New mill
Baldwin Jas. tailor & drpr. 18 High st
Batchelor George & Son, drapers 29,
    & grocers 30 & 32, Akeman street
Bedford Danl. hair dresser, 27 High st
Bedford Mark, bird dealr. 47 King st
Birch Louisa (Miss), dress maker, 42
    Akeman street
Bird Ebenezer Charles, printer, sta-
    tioner & bookseller, 6 & 7 High st
Bird Joseph, boot maker, 7 Albert st
Bly John, furniture dealer, 22 High st
Bly William, furniture dlr. 2 Brook st
Brandon & Sons, house furnishers,
    Western road
Bristow Wm. beer retailer, Frogmore st
Brown & Foulkes, land agts. architects
    & surveyors, 41 High street
Brown W. & Co. auctioneers, 41 High st
Brown James M.B. & C.M. Edin.,
    L.S.A. surgeon & medical officer &
    public vaccinator for the Aldbury
    district of the Berkhamsted union &
    certifying factory & Admiralty
    surgeon, 23 High street
Budd Joseph, marine store dealer, 64
    Akemen street
Bull Charles, baker, 15 Charles street
Burch James, tailor, New mill
Burr Herbt. hair drssr. 14 Akeman st
Carr Richardson, agent to Lord Roth
    schild, High street
Cash &a Co. boot makers, Western rd
Cato Charles, boot maker, New mill
Cato Chas. canvas mnfr. 12 Charles sl:
Cato Geo. canvas manufr. Park rd
Cato John, boot maker, 2 Chapel st
Chapman John, shoe mkr. 6 Albert st

Fincher Alfred, coal & wood merchant,
    55 King street
Fincher Henry, builder, contractor &
    brick maker, 28 Western road &
    Buckland common
Foskett Harry St Herbert, boot &
    shoe makers, Western road
Foster William, farm bailiff to J. G.
    William esq. J .P. Pendley farm
Francis Hy. police sergeant, Church la
Frude Charles Albert, jobmaster, 45
    Frogmore street
Fulks Ernest Kelsall, draper, 48 & 49
    High street
Fulks John, dairyman, Langdon street
Gas & Coke Co. (Robert Hedges,
    sec.); office, Western road; works,
    Brook street
Gerrish Frederick W. head gardener
    to J. G. William esq. J.P
Glover Thomas & Sons, grocers &
    agents for W. & A. Gilbey Limited,
    wine & spirit mers. 19 High street
Goodson Thos. & Son, blacksmiths &
    farriers, 54 High street
Gower John, china & glass dealer,
    57 High street
Gower John & Son, coal merchants &
    jobmasters, New st. & Western road
Gower Samuel, general dlr. Henry st
Grace R & A. bakers, 18 Henry st
Grace Edwd. bkr. 89 & 90 Akeman st.
Grace Frank, corn merchant & farmer,
    Parsonage farm
Grace Gilbert, general & manufacturing
    ironmonger & contractor; cycle
    maker & agent; wheelwright & cart|
    & wagon builder; constructional,
    iron work (estab. 1750), Western rd
Grand Junction Canal Water Works &
    Reservoir (Frederick Mew,
    engineer), Little Tring
Grange Herbert, farmer, Grove farm
Green Herbert John, grocer & beer
    retailer, 18 Akeman street
Green Wm. Jas. cycle ma. 35 High st
Greening Louisa (Mrs.), draper &
clothier, 31 & 32 High street
Griffin Charles, grocer, Frogmore st

Jacklin Frederick Thomas, hair drssr.
    8 Western road
Jeffery George G., M.P.S. dispensing
    chemist (proprietor of Jeffery’s
    Leamington Pomade; agent for Hor-
    niman’s & Tower teas), 26 High st
Jennings Thomas &: Son, saddlers &
    harness makers, Western road
Johnson William & Sons, butchers,
    21 High street
Johnson Frdc. watchma. Western rd
Johnson Hy. fishmonger, Frogmore st
Jones Jas. Gibbs, registrar of births,
    marriages & deaths for Tring sub-
    dist. Berkhamsted union, Western rd.
Kemp William, Royal Oak P.H. 28
    Akeman street
Kiff Wm. Hy. jobmaster, Western rd
Kingham Bros. cycle mkrs. Western rd
Kingham Hy. farmer, Little Tring
Kingham Wm. grocer, Frogmore st
Knight Sarah (Mrs), decorator,
    smith, gasfitter, registered plumber,
    16 High street
Lawson Joseph Essam, grocer & wine
    & spirit dealer, 25 High street
Le Quesne Edwin Joseph L.B.C.P.
    Lond., M.R.C.S. Eng., L.S.A.. sur-
    geon & medical oflicer for the
    Tring district of the Berkhamsted
    union, Elm house
Liddington Wm. beer ret. Frogmore st
Locke & Smith Limited, maltsters,
    New mill
London Central Meat Co. Limited,
    35a, High street
Mannington Mary (Mrs), shopkeeper,
    Post office, New Mill
Maull W. C. bdng. school, Brook st
Maunders Charlotte. (Mrs), shop
    keeper, 24 King street
Mayo Edward, butcher, 55 High street
Mead Frederick, coal, hay & straw
    mer. Pendley wharf & Tring station
Mead William N. miller (wind &
    steam), Roller flour mills, Gamnel
Mew Frederick, engineer to the Grand
    Junction Canal Water Works,
    Little Tring


Mead Walter, butcher, Western road
Miller Ernest Coleridge, dairy,
    Western road
Morrison John Wm. Thos. (M.P.S.) & Co.
    chemists & druggists, Western rd
Mosdell Sidney F.R.C.O. organist &
    teacher of music, Aylesbury road
Muddle Chas. Plough inn, 50 High st
Murray Geo. beer retlr. 53 Akeman st
Norman Arthur John Arnold, photo-
    grapher, Western road
Notly Charles Archibald, stationer &
    hair dresser, Western road
Osborn David, carpenter, 54 King st
Pangborn Fredk. butcher, New mill
Parrott & Wright, carriage builders;
    carriages of every description built
    to order; estimates free; repairs
    promptly &: carefully executed;
    carriages bought & sold on com-
    mission; only the best rubber tyres
    used (established 1870), 50 & 51
    Western road
Pearman Thomas James, Robin Hood
    P.H. Brook street
Pheasant James, insurance agent, Win-
    grave road, New mill
Philbey George, threshing machine
    & traction engine propr. New mill
Piggott Joseph, refreshment house, 56
    High street & 86 Akeman street
Pitkin Charles (successors), saddlers &
    harness makers, 30 High street
Pratt Jabez, travelling draper, Wood-
    leigh, Western road
Pratt Moses, farmer, Wick farm
Prescott, Dimsdale, Cave, Tugwell &
    Co. Limited, bankers (branch)
    (Walter Butcher, local director), 20
    High street; draw on head office, 50
    Cornhill, London EC
Prudames, Son & Archer (M.R.C.V.S.),
    veterinary surgeons, Western road
Putnam Charles, baker, Frogmore st
Putnam John, grocer & wine & spirit
    dealer, 53 High street
Rance George, painter & decorator,
    12 Langdon street
Rance Mary (Mrs), drpr. 61 Akeman st
Randall Alfred Ernest, shopkeeper,
    11 Akeman street
Rawlins Harry, painter & paper-
    hanger & deputy registrar of births,
    deaths & marriages, Tring sub-dis-
    trict, Berkhemsted union, 4 Langdon
Reeve John, pianoforte tuner, 47
    Frogmore street
Reeve Joseph, gardener to Frederick
Butcher esq. Frogmore street
Rodwell William Jesse, brewer,
    Akeman street
Rolfe Fredk. boot ma. Frogmore st

Rolfe Fredk. coal mer. 14 Western rd
Rothschild Museum (Mr. Ernst Har-
    tert, director, & Dr. Carl Jordan,
    curator); open to the public, Mon.
    Tues. Wed. & Fri. Park road
Sallery George & Son. butchers, 28
    High street & 20 Akeman street
Sanders Alfd. greengrcr. 2 Akeman st
Seabrook William, coal merchant &
    pawnbroker, 29 Frogmore street
Sherman Emily (Mrs.), & Annie
    (Mrs), clothiers, 36 High street
Short Edgar, Bell inn, 37 High street
Slade Wm. Arth. baker, Western rd
Smith Edwin & Son, builders. Brook st
Smith Dominic (Mrs.), shopkeeper,
    New mill
Smith Frederick, Queen’s Arms P.H.
    New mill
Smith Thomas, gamekeeper to Lord
Rothschild, Keeper’s lodge
Somes George Wright, bootmaker,
    25 Henry street
Stevens Henry, wholesale boot manu-
    facturer, 15 High street
Stevens M. E. (Miss), kindergarten
    school, 85 Akeman street
Stevenson Emily Jane (Mrs), shop-
    keeper, Chapel street
Thomas William Henry, surveyor &
    sanitary inspector to Tring Urban
    District Council & Berkhamsted
    Rural District Council, & inspector
    of canal boats. factories & work-
    shops to Tring Urban District Coun-
    cil; office, Market house; res.
    Miswell lane
Thorn Jesse Gadsden, Rose & Crown
    commercial & family hotel & posting
    house; office of the London & North
Western Railway Co.; cyclists
    specially catered for; billiards, 13
    High street
Thorp & Son, grocers, Western road
Timberlake Joseph, farm bailiff to
    Lord Rothschild, Hastoe farm
Tring Cemetery (A. W. Vaisey, regstr)
Tring & District Mutual Building
    Society (Geo. Hy. Moulting, sec.),
    Western road
Tring Co-operative Industrial & Provi-
    dent Society Limited (Henry John
    Walker, sec), High st. & Charles st
Tring Constitutional Club (J. G. Wil-
    liams esq. J.P. president, John
    Fincher. sec; James Budd,
    steward), Western road
Tring Fat Stock Sale (H. Brown &
    Co. auctioneers), Brook street
Tring Literary & Scientific Institute
    (G. Flaws, sec. & librarian),
    Western road
Tring Nursing Home (Lady Roths-

    child, president; Richardson Carr
    esq. hon. sec.; Miss F. C. Girardet,
    nurse in charge), Station road.
Underwood Harry, grocer, Western rd
Urban District Isolation Hospital
    (Edwin Joseph Le Quesne L.R.C.P.
    Lond. & James Brown M.B., C.M.
    hon. medical officers; Arthur Wm.
    Vaisey, clerk; Mrs. Storey, matron),
    Little Tring road
Vaisey Arthur William, solicitor &
    commissioner for taking oaths, clerk
    to the Urban District Council &
    Parish Council & vestry clerk &
    clerk to the Guardians & assess-
    ment & school attendance com-
    mittees of Berkhamsted union & to
    Berkharnsted Rural District Coun-
    cil, steward to Manors of Pendley,
    Wigginton, Bunstrux, Coventry &
    Crowlands, Western road
Volunteer Battalion 2nd (Hertford-
    shire), Bedfordshire Regiment (F
    Co. Capt. & Hon. Major S. William
    Jenney, jun.; Sergeant Frederick
    Crawley, instructor), Armoury,
    Western road
Waldock Frederick, baker & con-
    fectioner, Western road
Watts Marion (Mrs.), art needlework
    depot, Western road
Wells William, beer ret. 25 Western rd
West Herts Farmers’ Association (S.
    G. Foulkes, esq. sec.), High street
Westwood & Dellar, nurserymen &
    florists, 38 High street
Whiting D. school attendance officer,
    Longfield road
Wilkie Isabella (Mrs.), newsagent,
    22 Akeman road I
Wilkins Daniel, carman, Bulbourne rd.
    New Mill
Wilkins James Parker, foreman to
    Mr. J. Clarke, Gamnel farm
Wilkins Job, shopkeeper, 25 New
    Mill terrace
Woodman John, Green Man P.H. &
    toll clerk, 5 High street
Woodward George, Harrow P.H. 91
    Akeman street
Working Men’s Club (Joseph Gurney,
    sec.), Frogmore street
Wright Albert, coach builder, see Par-
    rott & Wright
Wright & Sons, butchers, 39 High st
Wright Edwd. carpenter, Western rd
Wright Albert, butcher, 40 Akeman st
Wright George, baker, Longfield road
Wright James, miller (wind & steam),
    Goldfield mill
Wright Thos. cabinet ma. Charles st
Wright Walter Edward, boys’ school,
    White house