There was a church recorded at Tring in the Domesday Book of 1086 but most of the attractive building we see today is a product of the 15th century. Immediately behind the churchyard is Sutton Court, a neo-Tudor building erected in 1825 as the vicarage, but now a private dwelling.
The church was rebuilt in the 13th century and the first mention of a rector comes from the year 1214. That 13th-century building was enlarged in the 14th century when the striking west tower with its external stair turret was built. The nave, south porch, south aisle, clerestory and chancel are all products of the 15th century.